As an early year’s provider, keeping your children safe when they are at St Mary’s Nursery is of paramount importance and we treat this duty of care very seriously indeed.
When your children are in our care, as a parent you rightfully expect that your own child will be as safe and secure as they are in your own home.
We ensure the safety and security of your child by the following means:
- Visitors enter the school building through the main office using an entry system.
- All staff and visitors to the school sign in electronically.
- All visitors wear a badge and visitor lanyard.
- All necessary visitor risk assessments take place prior to any visits.
- An adult supervises the Nursery gate during drop off and collection and it is securely locked thereafter.
- Gates are locked 10 minutes after start times late children need to go to the school office to register before coming back to the Nursery Gate to be allowed in.
- All staff have a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check. This is currently the highest level of checking available.
- We have a strict no smoking policy both inside and outside the nursery.
Whilst the risk posed by strangers is rare, it’s really important to make children aware of simple tips they can follow to keep themselves a little safer.
This video on Stranger Danger is designed to highlight a few key points, to be used to help you have that important conversation with your child. It is aimed at children aged 4 - 11 years. For parents, carers, families, teachers, schools and centres for young people to use to raise awareness and generate discussion that helps children keep safe.
We would advise you to talk to your child about who their safe adults are and where there are safe places near you if help is needed. It’s also important to think about safety on the internet and use of mobile phone apps and games that have ‘chat’ functions as this can be just as dangerous as a stranger in the street.
This video is one of a series of '60 Second Security' videos all around simple security advice. Designed to provide easy step by step tips, including advice on products and how to install and use them, helping to make you and your property that little bit safer.