Equality & Equal Opportunities
Public Sector Equality Duty
At St Mary’s Church of England Primary School, we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in line with the Equality Act (2010). We seek to demonstrate this through all aspects of school life and in particular through our commitment to all children learning and flourishing. This commitment applies to our work in the classroom, our pupil support systems, our recruitment and retention of staff and our work in the local and wider community.
Our equality objectives are:
- To ensure equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, disability, religious beliefs, sexual orientations, age or any other recognised area of discrimination.
- To ensure equality of opportunity for all pupils, through high quality teaching, an engaging curriculum and a broad range of enrichment and extra-curricular activities.
- To model teaching and learning behaviours that avoid labelling
- To reduce the gap between children in receipt of Pupil Premium funding and their peers' attainment in reading, writing and maths.
- To narrow any gap between children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities and their peers' attainment in reading, writing and maths.
- To tackle and eradicate prejudice related bullying and promote understanding in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through all appropriate curricular opportunities.
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of diversity and equality through direct teaching.
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experiences, both within and beyond school.