What Children in Nursery are Learning This Term.
Curriculum letters explain in detail what the children in Nursery are learning this term:
"Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child's experiences between birth and age five have a major impact on their future life chances."
Statutory Framework for Early Years Foundation Stage 2020
At St Mary's we aim to:
- Provide a balanced curriculum, based on the EYFS, across the seven curriculum areas, using play as the vehicle for learning;
- Promote equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice.
- We provide early intervention for those children who require additional support;
- Work in partnership with parents and carers;
- Plan challenging learning experiences, based on the individual child, informed by observation and assessment and by the children’s own ideas and interests;
- Provide opportunities for children to engage in activities that are adult-initiated, child-initiated and adult supported;
- Provide a secure and safe learning environment indoors and outdoors.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework is organised into seven areas of learning:
The Prime Areas:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
The Specific Areas:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
The full Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage can be accessed here:
To support our curriculum planning, we also use Birth to Five Matters. This is non-statutory guidance, which can be accessed here: