St Mary’s CE Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children. We recognise that adults, including parents, visitors, temporary and permanent staff, volunteers and governors, have a full and active part to play in protecting our pupils from harm, and that the children’s welfare is our prime concern.
We believe that St Mary’s CE Primary School should provide a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment that promotes the social, emotional, physical and moral development of all our children.
Our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy details the procedures in place to actively safeguard our pupils. All our staff (including governors) are trained in safeguarding procedures and we provide information (see leaflets below) for volunteers and visitors.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies where there are concerns about a child’s welfare.
We will ensure that our concerns are shared with the child’s parents in the first instance unless we have reason to believe that this would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
The Safeguarding Governor is Mr D. Kill.
If you are concerned about a child’s welfare, please speak to a member of our safeguarding team. If your concerns relate to the actions or behaviours of a member of staff (which could suggest that s/he is unsuitable to work with children) then you should report this directly to the Headteacher (or Chair of Governors Mr D. Kill if the concern relates to the Headteacher) who will consider what action to take.
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. The following Articles apply to safeguarding:
- Article 3 : My best interests
- Article 6 : My survival and development
- Article 9 : To live with my parents
- Article 18 : To be raised by my parents if possible
- Article 19 : Protection from harm
- Article 20 : Special care and help if I can’t be raised with my parents
- Article 21 : Care and adoption if I’m in foster care
- Article 25 : Review of my treatment if I’m in care
- Article 27 : An adequate standard of living
- Article 33 : Protection from drugs
- Article 34 : Protection from sexual exploitation
- Article 36 : Protection from exploitation
- Article 39 : Help if I’ve been hurt, neglected or mistreated