This week we are going to continue look at the famous narrative poem called
Day 1 Monday 1st Match 2021
1. Read the first verse of The Highwayman • Read it in your head first and then try reading it out loud. What patterns do you notice? What mood would you say this verse has? What do you think might happen?
2 Learn 2 verses of The Highwayman. You will be sharing these in the Teams live lesson with your teacher on Tuesday 2nd March 2021 at 12.00. We are looking forward to seeing you.
Top tips for learning a poem by heart
• Read the poem aloud several times slowly.
• Copy the poem out a couple of times.
•Be strategic. Pick a poem with a pattern, metre and rhyme are much easier to learn by heart than free verse.
• Learn and internalise the “story” in the poem
• Understand the poem by knowing every word’s meaning
• With a card, cover everything but the first line of the poem. Read it. Look away, see the line in the air, and say it. Look back. Repeat until you’ve “got it.”
• Uncover the second line. Learn it as you did the first line, but also add second line to first, until you’ve got the two.
• Then it’s on to three. Always repeat the first line on down, till the whole poem sings.
YOU ONLY NEED TO LEARN TWO VERSES. THEY CAN BE THE FIRST TWO OR ANY OF THE OTHERS. MAYBE SOME OF YOU WANT TO LEARN TWO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE POEM OR TOWARDS THE END OF THE POEM.