Make a story box
A story box is a great tool for supporting your child to develop their oral literacy.
- Begin by having the children decorate a small sized box
- You could use pictures from We’re Going on a Bear Hunt or just question marks to build anticipation
- Choose one item to go in the box, a bear, a 'magic' feather, a missing hat
- Unveil the item with the children
- Model how to develop a narrative by asking: 'Who do you think could live in a cave like this? A bear... you're right, a big, brown bear lives in this home and his name is..."
- Think about which open-ended questions could develop the story line:
- What will he eat for his tea?
- Who does he live with?
- What do you think happened to him?
- Who might this belong to?
- How do you think he was feeling?
- What do you think happened next?