Basic skills are taught in English and Maths to give children the best chances to secure learning in all subjects. To ensure that we are meeting all areas of basic skills, the school has an external review, led by Tribal, every three years for the Basic Skills Quality Mark which we have held for many years now.
This Quality Mark aims to focus school leaders to undertake effective self-evaluation and continuous improvement for English and mathematics, which drives better outcomes for pupils, their families and society.
In Early Years, the award recognises improving standards in the provision of communication and language, and mathematics. It provides evidence of high-quality education and care, and can support inspection preparation. There are 10 elements for evaluating effectiveness:
- A whole setting strategy to improve children’s abilities and achievements
- An analysis of the assessment of young children’s abilities and achievements
- Setting appropriately high expectations for young children’s development
- Planning ‘next steps’ in learning for young children’s development
- Regular review of progress made by all children
- A commitment to improving the skills of all practitioners
- A balanced use of child-initiated and adult-guided play-based activities
- The use of appropriate environments and resources
- Partnership working between families, carers, practitioners and professionals in supporting young children’s learning and development
- An effective procedure for monitoring planning and assessing improvement in practice and provision
The Quality Mark Primary award recognises improving standards in the provision, practice and performance of English and mathematics and provides evidence of high-quality self-evaluation which is used for external reviews by organisations such as the local authority and Ofsted.
- A whole school strategy and planning to improve performance in English and mathematics
- An analysis of the assessment of pupil performance in English and mathematics
- Target setting for the improvement of performance in English and mathematics
- English and mathematics planning and intervention for all groups of pupils
- Review of progress made by all groups of pupils in English and mathematics
- A commitment to improving the skills of staff in the application of English and mathematics in the school
- The use of a range of teaching approaches and learning styles to improve English and mathematics
- The use of appropriate teaching and learning resources to improve English and mathematics
- The involvement of parents and carers in developing their child’s English and mathematics
- An effective procedure for monitoring planning and assessing performance in English and mathematics